Herbal Medicine

Can an American take a correspondence course in Alternative medicine through a Canadian school and If so would it affect certification in that field in the US

Answer 1: The practice of medicine — of any type — is regulated on a state-by-state, and not on a federal basis in the US. Therefore, there is no one right answer for all 50 US states. Each state licenses, or not, so-called “alternative” medicine practitioners in their own ways.
Therefore, what kind of education each state will require of their “alternative” medicine practitioners is something that you would need to check on and/or look-up on the website of whatever governmental agency regulates and/or licenses “alternative” medicine practitioners in whatever US state in which you intend to practice.
I keep putting double-quotes around “alternative” because it’s not really an official term regarding medical practitioners — at least not of the state-licensed type — in any of the 50 US states. Some states will license “naturopathic” either doctors or practitioners. But the term “alternative medicine” is just too broad, and so no one licenses it. Some states do, however, use the term to describe broad categories of persons who either must or needn’t be licensed, depending, again, on the state. California, for example, has a law which exempts so-called “alternative medicine” practitioners from licensure, but requires certain other things and disclosures of them. Some other states are similar.
Some Canadian schools are, believe it or not, accredited by agencies approved by the US Department of Education (USDE), and/or the USDE-sanctioned Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), even though they’re not physically located inside the United States. If the Canadian school is so accredited, then it stands a higher chance of being acceptable to whatever US state agency licenses whatever kind of “alternative” medicine that you intend to practice. However, I’ve seen some state medical licensing agencies reject even “regionally” accredited schools unless they’re physically located inside their states, so it all just depends on the state.
If the Canadian school is officially recognized (the equivalent of what we, in the US, call “accredited”) by a governmentally-overseen agency in Canada, then it’s possible to have what’s called a “US foreign credential evaluator” review the Canadian school, and whatever academic credential you earned from it, and declare it either equivalent to, or not, a similar credential issued by a US accredited school.
NOTE: Be careful, though, because there are a lot of fake “US foreign credential evaluators” out there. Trust only AACRAO, or any NACES member agency.
Once the Canadian academic credential has been declared (by AACRAO or any NACES member agency) to be equivalent to a similarly named and leveled credential issued by a US accredited school, then it’s entirely possible that a US state licensing agency would accept it; but, again, it depends on the state.
There is, then, no one right answer to this question. But, hopefully, what I’ve herein provided will help.
When it comes to practicing any profession in the US which is typically governmentally licensed (nursing and other medical practitioners, accounting, engineering, etc.) the only way to know what kind of education (and other requirements) are necessary is to first figure out in what US state you plan to live and work and practice, and then figure out what state agency regulates said practice, then find its website and read, read, read what are the rules and regulations and requirements. Then act accordingly.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *